Thursday, September 12, 2019

Blogging within my Information Technology Classroom




A blog would be a beneficial tool to be used within my teaching environment. This Web 2.0 tool can be used to enhance my lessons, as it would allow me to post resources and content relating to the subject that I teach and also add links to other websites. Thereby allowing my students to have access to the learning resources and also interact and share their views and opinions outside of the regular classroom.  Richardson (2010) states that weblogs can be used to gather and organize internet resources, (Richardson, 2010, p.51). Therefore incorporating blogging within my teaching environment will allow my students to become discovery learners, as I could have them use the blog to conduct research so as to gain additional information relating to concepts taught within the classroom.

I am a teacher of Information Technology and I am currently teaching grades 10 and 11. Blogs are an essential web 2.0 tools to use within my classroom, according to Richardson (2010), having a space to publish course curriculum, syllabus and homework assignments makes weblogs a powerful course management tool (Richardson, 2010, p.34). Richardson also states, that weblogs expands the walls of the classroom and allows for collaboration to be more diverse and accessible. The syllabus for Information Technology, is lengthy, hence I believe using weblogs in my classroom would benefit me and my students greatly as it provides an avenue for not only collaboration for students but also for teacher to manage students’ course materials.

According to the International Society for Technology in Education ISTE (2008) one Standard for teachers that may be met by blogging, is that blogging allows the teacher to be a leader, in that the teacher seeks out opportunities for student empowerment and success, as the teacher is now seen as an advocate for equitable access for educational technology to meet the needs of diverse students. Another standard that is met by blogging is the teacher being a facilitator of learning with technology by managing the use of technology and student learning strategies in digital platforms.
The International Society for Technology in Education ISTE (2016) Standards for students is that the student will now become a global communicator that use collaborative technologies to work with others in that they are able to use the web platforms to share their views and interact with others on a given topic virtually. The students should also become empowered learners that uses technology to seek feedback and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways.

References
Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms ( 3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2016). Standards for students. Retrieved from from http://www.iste.org/standards/standards/for-students-2016
International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2008). Standards for teachers. Retrieved from from http://www.iste.org/standards/standards/standards-for-teachers


2 comments:

  1. Andrene, I enjoyed your post and can really see how using blogs within your classroom can empower your students to become discovery learners. That is what I believe all teacher aspire their students to be. You have two great ideas with using blogs that I want to speak off of.

    First, I really think it's great using blogs to have students share their views and voice their opinions outside the classroom. In such a technology driven world, students will need to know how to voice their opinions and share their views in an environment that is sometimes heated. I was wondering if you setup any strategies that model to students how to voice their opinions in a highly-opinionated world? I ask this question because, I too, would love to have my students voice their opinions outside of the regular classroom but fear that my eighth-grade students would struggle.

    Secondly, you wrote that you want your students to be discovery learners as they use technology as a means to conduct research to gather additional information taught in the classroom. This too, is such a great idea and I seek to have my students draft notes using websites I use. One way to improve this is to guide students to specific websites that are trusted and give great information. I learned from mistake by giving my students free-range to take notes on whatever website they thought was good enough. Bad idea. Each year since, I begin school by showing them specific websites to use for notes. As the school year progresses, I challenge students to find additional websites but to seek approval before using them. This has definitely helped my students and it makes them eager to research different sites that I was unaware of and not use.

    Best of luck with blogging in your classroom. I look forward to reading more blogs from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrene!

    My goal once I finish this degree program is to hopefully teach an Instructional Technology class or to work in the district as an Instructional Technologist. I'm so happy to see counties begin to turn back to investing in technology to open up these types of positions.

    As you stated, I'm a strong supporter of discovery learning. My philosophy of education is centered around the belief of learning being an experience and that is the way we learn best. Discovery learning provides students with more of a sense of student agency that makes the knowledge they gain that more authentic. As stated in the comment above, independent research skills in best practice should always be modeled first. Working with middle school age students, I've learned my lesson very quickly to not let them roam alone at first. However, with you having high schoolers, they may be a bit more selective. I've interested to know, what specifically will be the content for the students? Will you allow them to choose on their own or will the topics be assigned by you? This is something I'm testing with my small enrichment group and I've allowed them to choose their overall topic. Also, how do you plan to assess their learning?

    Looking forward to your response

    ReplyDelete